I really love to bake cookies, especially this time of year (obviously), but I always get a bit stuck when searching for things to bake for the #12DaysofBaking series. I want to put out recipes that are new, and fresh, not like everything that’s bombarding the interweb during this month. As always, the answer is when in doubt, use what you love. Queue these coffee cookies.
These Coffee Sables are definitely a personal favorite. Found them in a French baking magazine a a couple of years back, but I never thought of trying it out. I LOVE coffee, so coffee flavored cookies are clearly very high on my “like list”.
So this weekend, after a lot of translation and making sure I don’t misread any ingredient (my French is really rusty), I baked those cookies. After a lot of and they tasted just like they were dunked in coffee, and made my house smell like I walked into a coffee shop. These cookies are buttery and crumbly, and they taste of, you guessed it, coffee. They’re the perfect pick-me-up during the day if you’ve already had all the prescribed cups of coffee. They are mild on the sweetness with a creamy middle and a definite coffee taste. a true coffee lovers dream.
Those are flecks of actual coffee beans in there. We’re not fooling around.
Makes around 50 cookies (more of less depending on the size)
- 250 grams softened unsalted butter
- 180 grams sugar
- 1 packet of vanilla sugar
- 2 eggs
- 200 grams all purpose flour
- 120 grams ground hazelnut
- 4 teaspoons instant coffee
- powdered sugar for dusting
- coffee beans for decorating (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C, and prepare cookie trays with non-stick parchment paper.
- In a bowl, beat together butter and sugars, until the sugar is completely dissolved. (The recipe says that this could be done faster if using powdered sugar, but I did not try that).
- Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the rest of the ingredients; flour, ground hazelnut and instant coffee, and mix just until incorporated.
- To make the cookies, scoop out tiny amounts and shape them into little balls. I used about a small marble sized amounts for each cookie. Place them in the oven for 11-15 minutes, the time may vary depending on the size of your cookies. Remove the cookies from the oven, and dust them with powdered sugar, and place one coffee bean on top of each one for decoration.
- Store cookies in an airtight container for up to a week.
Bon Appetit 🙂