There are some things in life that deserve to savor. Memories of a loved one’s scent, a mother’s hug, a father’s kiss. A summer morning on a porch in a swinging chair at sunset. A soft rain on a spring day. Sunlight seeping through a window late afternoon.
Any hint of memories that can be conjured up once your eyes are close, are ones that deserve to be engraved, held on to tightly. Those are the memories that help shape your future. It’s a magical realm of thoughts and ideas.
Mousses are among the desserts that I like to savor. I don’t have a particular memory attached to them, nor a special event. I don’t have the will to gobble it down like I would a cookie or a piece of pie. A teaspoon is more than enough to help linger around its sultry texture.
A few ingredients are enough to shape up this delicate dessert. And with the sweet marriage of chocolate and espresso in this, it is hands down, the perfect little treat.
Chocolate Espresso Mousse:
Yields: 4 Servings
- 400 ml full-fat milk (can also substitute half and half or coconut milk)
- 1 tablespoon espresso powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large egg yolks
- 113 grams bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- For Garnish: whipped cream, shaved chocolate.
- In a large saucepan, whisk together the milk, espresso powder, cornstarch and salt. Bring to a simmer over medium to medium-high heat. Turn the heat down to low.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks. Pour a small amount of the milk mixture into the eggs and stir quickly to prevent the eggs from cooking.
- Pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan and whisk everything together.Turn the heat back up to medium and continue cooking, while stirring.
- Once the pudding thickens enough to thickly coat the back of a spoon, about 5-10 minutes or more, remove from heat.
- Stir in the chopped chocolate until the pudding is smooth and completely melted. Stir in vanilla extract. Pour pudding evenly between serving dishes, cover, and place in the refrigerator to cool.
- Just before serving, garnish with whipped cream and chocolate shavings.
Bon Appetit 🙂