Nothing beats the heartwarming, fuzzy feeling you get when you hear Frank Sinatra singing Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, with fire crackling in the background, family chattering, and jolly laughs all around. Even in complete silence, there’s a sense of magic in the air.
Only one thing seals this night with a touch of perfection. A good soul hugging cup of decadent hot chocolate. I always struggled with finding the right mix. I hate those ready made ones that taste extremely artificial. So my idea of homemade hot chocolate has been to just boil some milk, add a bit of unsweetened cocoa and sugar and whisk. Maybe throw in a few squares of 70% dark chocolate. Get a lumpy mixture. Add some water. End up forcefully drinking it as to keep the disappointment at its least.
I’ve seen recipes of homemade cocoa mixes around the internet, but I never considered trying them since they seem too bland. So I figured why not make my own compilation of those recipes?
And if you’re anything like me, this fits perfectly into the “homemade gifts” categories. Just a few simple ingredients, no nuclear science involved, and you’ll have a hot cup of cocoa warming up your hands on a cold winter day without all the frustration of lumpy mixture.
Heat your milk, mix your powder, pour into mug, top with mini-marshmallows or a dollop of whipped cream, and give it to someone you love 🙂
Hot Chocolate Mix
Yields: Around 2 cups.
- 100 grams granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 85 grams semi- or bittersweet chocolate, roughly chopped. (I used 70% dark chocolate)
- 1/2 cup (40 grams) cocoa powder, any kind you like
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until powdery.
- Don’t have a food processor? Chop or grate the chocolate until it is as fine as you can get it, and stir it into the remaining ingredients. Mixture keeps in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 months.
- To use: Heat one cup of milk (coconut, almond or others would work here too) in a saucepan over medium heat until steamy. Add 3 tablespoons hot cocoa mix. Whisk over heat for another minute or two, until it begins to simmer and mix is completely dissolved.
- Pour into mug, top with mini-marshmallows or a dollop of whipped cream.
Bon Appetit 🙂