The red velvet craze is still on, and it seems like it’s going to be a while before I get over it. Today’s Christmas treat is simple, easy (need I say more) and probably the best brownie bars you’ll ever have.
I have done a few different brownie recipes, but none come close to these bars though. I can’t believe how heavenly they were! Perfect brownie base. Moist and delicious. Add in the red color and I’m sold. The best part though has to be The cream cheese frosting. It compliments the brownie base perfectly since it’s not too sweet.
And in case you’re having a cookie exchange at your office, this would make the perfect twist. Just match them up with these festive Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies, and you’re good to go!
In case you missed it:
Day 1: Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies.
Red Velvet Brownie Bars:
For the Brownie:
Yields: One 8×8 inch pan. May be cut into 12 squared pieces.
- 1 2/3 cups flour
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons (one 1-ounce bottle) red food coloring
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 Oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 Tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Have an 8×8 inch pan ready. Spray it with cooking spray so that the bars easily lift out and are easy to cut.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa, salt, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together butter softened and sugar until light and creamy. About 2-3 minutes. Beat in the eggs, vanilla, and food coloring until combined.
- Add the flour mixture until a soft dough forms. Press into the bottom of the pan. Bake for about 17-20 minutes until the edges start to pull away from the sides and a toothpick entered into the center comes out clean. Allow to completely cool before frosting.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, Beat together the cream cheese and butter. Add the powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat together until smooth. Frost the top of the bars and enjoy!
Bon Appetit 🙂