I wanted mousse. I wanted caffeine. Chocolate + Caffeine = Perfect Combo!
I’ve always been afraid of everything that needed patience and sensitivity in the kitchen, mainly because I lack both qualities. But my cravings took the best of me and I decided to just do it, I mean what the heck, what’s the worse that could go wrong?
And well as usual, I’m doing these instead of studying, but in my defense I did great last semester so I think I deserve a little break at the beginning of my final semester, don’t you think? These, being my final 3 months as a student, makes me think about what comes next. After 5 long years of having nothing to do except study, the time has come to actually figure out what I want to do next.
Now back to the point. Soft, creamy, chocolate mousse. Smooth, almost pudding-like, chocolate mousse. Rich, super chocolate-y mousse. If you’ve never tried it, it’s unbelievably easy to make at home.Oh and did I mention that it’s healthy?
You crack some eggs. You melt some chocolate. You whip some cream. You have a fantastic dessert that’s perfect for date night, holidays, or my favorite reason: just because.
Chocolate Espresso Mousse
- 125 gms dark chocolate
- 2 eggs, separated
- 40 gms sugar
- 30 ml espresso
- 2 tbsp milk (30 ml)
- Pomegranate. (optional)
- chocolate shavings. (optional)
- Melt the chocolate either in the microwave or in a bain-marie and let it cool down slightly.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff with an electric mixer and keep them aside.
- Whisk the egg yolks and the sugar with an electric mixer until pale.
- Add the melted chocolate, espresso and milk and mix well until combined.
- Gently incorporate the whipped egg whites into the chocolate mixture using a lifting and rolling motion, so that the mousse remains fluffy.
- Put the mousse in serving glasses and refrigerate it for at least 2 hours before serving.
I sprinkled pomegranate between the layers of chocolate mousse in each cup, I think it adds a nice flavor and a nice contrast, top off with some chocolate shavings, et voilà!